6 Reasons why students must write in Journals
- Feb 11, 2015
Do you grapple for words while answering questions in an interview? Well, of course you know the answers. You’ve been practicing them for the past week, haven’t you? But somehow, you are unable to impress the interviewer as your vocabulary plays a spoilsport! Unbelievable. Your friends had always admired your oratory skills. What is amiss suddenly?
I have noticed students confronting similar issues during their English exam, especially in the essay-writing portion. Either it is the syntax, or the grammar that goes terrible wrong in most cases. Not only high schoolers, but even college students are unable to write flawless English.
Do you know what’s responsible for it? It is simply due to the fact that very few students utilize their time in writing a journal nowadays. When was the last time you shared about that field trip organized by your school, in your diary? Or, expressed your thoughts about a memorable experience in your life? Believe it or not, a personal journal can double up as your best friend. And help students enhance their creative talents in various ways. Here are the top six reasons why students must write in journals:
- Builds confidence: I can safely bet that this is the best benefit of keeping a diary: building confidence amongst all kinds of students. Certain pupils are weak in grammar that prevents them from producing accurate sentences. And class tests or final exams aggravates their phobia of writing. So, they must be encouraged to write spontaneously, where their writing skills wouldn’t be assessed. It instills a confidence in students, as they know that they have nothing to lose if they express their thoughts in a journal. Let them choose any topic randomly and start writing about it.
- Fixes grammar: Most people love reviewing the entries in their journals by revisiting them every now and then. This way, you are actually identifying your grammatical errors. Or careless mistakes in sentence construction. Immediately, you scratch the inappropriate words and replace them with the correct ones. It helps you pinpoint the loopholes you make in the language you use while writing in the journal. You would notice that during the initial days of writing, your journal is filled with errors. However, with the passage of time, you are bound to observe that you’re making fewer grammatical mistakes.
- Helps analyze students: Teachers are always eager to learn about the understanding levels of students. Also, they need to know whether their students are making any progress. It would help them to address the areas in which students face difficulties. This purpose is aptly served by journals. Youngsters love to reveal their deepest emotions, problems and opinions in their journals. So, teachers can get an idea about the issues faced by students in spellings, grammar and others. In addition, teachers also become aware of the psychological troubles of students that help them motivate students more effectively.
- Develops vocabulary: When you are writing about something, your thoughts flow freely. No wonder your creation becomes unique, that’s the result of an unrestricted flow of words. But have you noticed how sometimes you tap your pen against your head, thinking of that perfect word or phrase that would complement your masterpiece? After all, you want to express your ideas in the most beautiful way possible, though you are not going to display it to your friends. Writing in journals is a great way of improving one’s vocabulary. Why not try it out today friends?
- Improves memory: How many times have your teacher asked you note down those dates in History to learn them better? Research has proven that when you write about something, your brain is triggered to retain that information permanently. For instance, you have written a review on the latest movie you have watched, in your journal. So, when somebody asks you (even five years later) about the plot of that movie, chances are you’ll remember the smallest detail including the famous dialogues! Therefore, your memory is improved to a great extent and you remember your formulas better.
- Helps handle complications: Some students are introverts. Others might be shy and extremely reluctant to share the reason of their anxiety or depression. As a result, some students are often observed to perform miserably in their exams. Such pupils tend to vent out their frustrations and feelings in their personal journal. It acts as an important alarm bell that lets teachers know if students require counselling and other sorts of assistance. For, they would never express their troubles to anybody, as they prefer being on their own. If teachers are able to read their journals, they can grasp the matter and take necessary action to help them.
I remember confiding every little thing in my little blue diary as a child, a habit that has clung on to me till date. And now a little secret: I had once tried to write a romantic poem in my diary during Math period, while the teacher was explaining Calculus! You can say I was obsessed with my journal. But then again, that was one of the main reasons why my English grades steadily improved! Developing written communication skills is crucial for students. And the easiest way to start getting better in your communication skills is by writing in a journal.
So, write away happily!
Learnpick is an online marketplace for all kinds of tutoring and learning services. We provide a platform to help learners find home tutors, online tutors, expert trainers,tutorial centers, training institutes and online tutoring schools. Learners can also find local classes, workshops, online courses and tutorials on a huge variety of topics.
Latest posts by LearnPick (see all)
- Government to spend Bt10 million to study the labour market needs - Apr 26, 2019
- CHED advised public universities to start classes in August - Apr 18, 2019
- Schools should stay as open communities said Ong Ye Kung - Apr 17, 2019
- Indonesians vote today, to choose the next President - Apr 17, 2019
- Australian University Signs a $100m China Deal - Apr 17, 2019