IELTS in Singapore Vocabulary Flashcard: 25 Proverbs to remember
- Jun 21, 2018
The use of idioms and proverbs in essays helps to supplement the power of your arguments, contributing a lot in making them appear more convincing to the readers.
It is for this precise reason we would advise you to know and learn a few of the most basic and classic proverbs for your upcoming IELTS examination. Here, this post can help.
1. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Being away from someone or something for a period of time makes you appreciate that person or thing more when you see them or it again.
2. Actions speak louder than words.
What you do is more important than what you say.
3. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
You must begin something if you hope to finish it; something that takes a long time to finish begins with one step.
4. All good things must come to an end.
Everything ends; good times don’t last forever.
5. A picture is worth a thousand words.
An image can tell a story better than words.
6. A watched pot never boils.
If something takes time to do, it doesn’t help to constantly check on it. You just have to give it time.
7. Beggars can’t be choosers.
If you are in a bad situation and someone offers to help you, you must take whatever they give you and shouldn’t ask for more.
8. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
What is “beautiful” is different for each person.
9. Better late than never.
It’s better to finish something late than to never do it at all.
10. Birds of a feather flock together.
People who are similar spend time together.
11. Cleanliness is next to godliness.
It’s good to be clean. God is clean, and you should be too.
12. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.
Don’t make someone angry or hurt someone who is helping you or paying for you.
13. Don’t count your chickens before they hatch.
Don’t expect a positive result before you actually see it.
14. Don’t judge a book by its cover.
Don’t judge someone or something by appearance alone.
15. The pen is mightier than the sword.
Trying to convince people with ideas and words is more effective than trying to force people to do what you want.
16. When in Rome, do as the Romans.
Act the way that the people around you are acting.
17. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
You can get better service if you complain about something. If you wait patiently, no one's going to help you.
18. When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
Strong people don't give up when they come across challenges. They work harder.
19. No man is an island.
You can't live completely independently. Everyone needs help from other people.
20. Fortune favors the bold.
People who bravely go after what they want are more successful than people who try to live safely.
21. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
Don't criticize other people if you're not perfect yourself.
22. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
Bad things might happen, so be prepared.
23. Birds of a feather flock together.
People like to spend time with others who are similar to them.
24. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
If you have an enemy, pretend to be friends with them instead of openly fighting with them. That way you can watch them carefully and figure out what they're planning.
25. Two wrongs don't make a right.
When someone has done something bad to you, trying to get revenge will only make things worse.
All the best for your IELTS examination!
Learnpick is an online marketplace for all kinds of tutoring and learning services. We provide a platform to help learners find home tutors, online tutors, expert trainers,tutorial centers, training institutes and online tutoring schools. Learners can also find local classes, workshops, online courses and tutorials on a huge variety of topics.
Latest posts by LearnPick (see all)
- CHED advised public universities to start classes in August - Apr 18, 2019
- Schools should stay as open communities said Ong Ye Kung - Apr 17, 2019
- Indonesians vote today, to choose the next President - Apr 17, 2019
- Australian University Signs a $100m China Deal - Apr 17, 2019
- UNICEF praises Thailand for promoting early childhood education - Apr 16, 2019