Things You Need to Know Before Enrolling in an Online Course
- Dec 07, 2015
Online courses have cooked up quite a rage over the years. The convenient and self-paced structure of online courses have made it one of the top choices for millions of students worldwide. They are equally popular among students who are looking for a supplement to their ongoing education or those who are trying to obtain a degree online.
Online courses have a number of advantages. They are cost-effective and can be taken from the comfort of your home at your own preferred time. What fueled the popularity of online degrees is their recognition and acceptance in all companies. And of course, their impeccable quality and flexibility.
With surmounting demands for online courses, they have branched out into various categories and types depending upon the requirement of the students. Therefore, it is always recommended to do a little background check on the online course you choose and the university that is offering it.
In this article, we have enlisted a few things that you need to consider before enrolling in an online course. Read on to find out more.
Online Courses aren't Easy
If you are under the notion that an online course is going to leave you with enough time to procrastinate, then you are highly mistaken. Many students think that they can sit back and breathe easy if they take up an online course instead of a traditional one. This is a very common misconception. With little to zero rules to be followed, learning online becomes all the more challenging.
In a conventional classroom, a teacher and a specific set of guidelines set by the teacher would always eliminate any chance of procrastination. But the absence of a teacher, in the case of online learning, omits these guidelines and makes the entire process prone to a mess if it is not handled carefully from the beginning. You might find yourself stuck behind a pile of workload and studying if you do not maintain a strict routine from the start. This brings us to our next point.
Online Courses Require Effective Planning and Time Management
The entire responsibility of studying, planning, preparing and appearing for the exam for an online course rests on the student. It requires proper planning to execute it successfully. It is up to you to complete your assignments on time and be ready to ace the exams. Therefore, you would need to plan your study schedule from the beginning.
Since online courses are mostly self-paced, it is likely that you will find yourself running out of time. This could make you fall behind. So managing time effectively is enormously important to stay afloat.
Additionally, you would always find something or the other fighting for your attention. While taking classes from the comfort of your home, it is quite easy to succumb to such beckoning. So you would need to be strict with yourself. You would need to see to it that these distractions do not encroach on your timetable.
Do Your Research about the Course
Even though online courses are now widely accepted across all platforms, it is always advisable to do some basic research before enrolling in one. Following are a few aspects that you would need to look into before enrolling:
- Accreditation: Does the course you are signing up for meet the academic standards? Does it come with the credentials that are necessary for landing a job? Additionally, you would also need to find out if the credentials are widely accepted.
- Curriculum: Next in line is the curriculum. The curriculum will tell you exactly what you should expect from the course. This will give you scope to find out how much or how less it aligns with your requirement. If you are not satisfied with the course content, you can keep looking and opt for the one that suits your needs.
- Completion rate: Numbers can tell a lot about the credibility of the course. For example, the completion rate, the number of students who found the course highly satisfactory or the drop out could give you an idea about the effectiveness of the course. Additionally, feedback of students who have taken the course is equally important.
Research can save you time, money and hassles.
Check the Prices
It is a common notion among many students that online courses do not cost much. If you are one of them, then you could be wrong. Not all online courses are cost-effective. Some of them could even burn a hole in your pocket with the hidden fees. Therefore, we suggest you to always check the price tag before enrolling.
If the cost is on the higher side for you, you can always check out similar courses offered by other universities. You could find one that costs less and is equally effective.
Find Out About the Technology Requirements
An online course requires certain minimum technology specifications. For example, a reliable Internet connection is a must. Some courses require certain specific software too. So you would need to find out all there is to know about the technological pre-requisites before enrolling for a course.
If you are going to take the course from a public Internet source, then you would have to find out if it satisfies the connection specification and other software requirements. You can also talk to an expert to find out which software would help you in your course.
You would need to devote a lot of time, hard work, dedication and planning to online courses. If you are ready for it, then online courses shouldn't be difficult for you.
Learnpick is an online marketplace for all kinds of tutoring and learning services. We provide a platform to help learners find home tutors, online tutors, expert trainers,tutorial centers, training institutes and online tutoring schools. Learners can also find local classes, workshops, online courses and tutorials on a huge variety of topics.
Latest posts by LearnPick (see all)
- 5 Handy Tips For Beginner Still Life Photography - Aug 21, 2018
- 7 Expert Tips To An Exceptional Night Landscape Photography - Aug 17, 2018
- How the Hong Kong educational system is recognising the importance of STEM in the curriculum - Aug 16, 2018
- Lucrative careers in finance are available in Hong Kong - Aug 10, 2018
- Health Benefits of Swimming [PPT] - Jul 23, 2018